The Chair for Translation Studies kindly invites you to an open lecture entitled Legal Translation at the European Court of Justice: Processes, Practices and Profiles, to be delivered by Lara Albertinazzi from the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) on 17 March 2023 at 11.00-12.30 CET at Auditorium Maximum in Kraków (ul. Krupnicza 33, Aula Mała).
The Chair for Translation Studies and the research platform Translator – Educator – Research (TER), POB Heritage UJ, kindly invite you to an open lecture entitled The hard thing about soft skills: Educating for today’s language industry, to be delivered by Prof. Gary Massey from Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW) on 16 March 2023 at 12.00-13.30 (CET) at Auditorium Maximum in Kraków (ul. Krupnicza 33, sala seminaryjna A).
The Consortium for Translation Education Research (CTER) in association with the University of Westminster in London, England and the Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Poland are pleased to announce a jointly organised workshop on assessment literacy for translator trainers and translators under the name of the CTER Assessment Literacy Workshop 2022, to be held on 3rd-4th November, 2022 in Kraków, Poland. The workshop sessions will be led by Elsa Barros and Juliet Vine from the University of Westminster.
For more information on the event and registration consult the workshop site.
To commemorate St Jerome – the patron saint of translators, CTER kindly invites you an online roundtable discussion to be held on September 30th, 2022 at 4.00 – 5.30 p.m. (CET).
For details and registration, click here.
It was a great pleasure for us to meet CTER members at the tri-annual CTER General Meeting, which was held on 7th April 2022 at 17.00 CET. We convened online and the meeting covered the following issues:
- CTER presidential elections;
- an update on CTER membership;
- information about the current and forthcoming CTER projects and events;
- informal discussion on CTER-related matters; and
We look forward to future CTER events.
The turn of March and April 2022 saw this year’s CTER Presidential Election, as members of the Consortium voted for CTER President for the years 2022-2025. The results of the vote revealed a perfect tie, with each of the two candidates, incumbent CTER President Prof. UJ Maria Piotrowska and CTER Secretary Dr Mariusz Marczak, receiving exactly 50% of the votes. As a mark of respect to the voters’ decision, it was decided that in the next three years CTER will be functioning under split presidency, i.e. Prof. UJ Maria Piotrowska will carry on as CTER President from April 2022 to September 2023, while Dr Mariusz Marczak will take over from October 2023 (to March 2025). Consequently, new CTER Secretary will be appointed for the second part of the present term of office.
On the initiative of the Chair for Translation Studies of the Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Poland and in collaboration with three institutional members of the Consortium for Translation Education Research (CTER): the University of Łódź, Poland, Zurich University of Applied Sciences – ZHAW, Switzerland, and Kiev V. Vynnychenko Central Ukrainian State Pedagogical University, Ukraine, an international research platform was launched under the name of TER: Translator-Education-Research. TER is one of the research platforms established within the Jagiellonian University programme of Priority Research Areas (POB Heritage).
TER activities, scheduled for the years 2022-2023, will involve study visits, library queries, conference attendance, the organisation of conferences, workshops, guest lectures and seminars, as well as the preparation of publications – all with a view to meeting the platform’s major goals, which are:
- to conduct inter- and interdisciplinary and innovative research in Translation Studies;
- to expand the research competences of the scholars and students involved in the platform; and
- to provide them with access to the up-to-date publications and knowledge about new trends in the target area.
The 3rd CTER Congress has come to a close now. This year’s event was held online and attracted participants from 21 countries, including Belgium, China, Czechia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Lithuania, Macedonia, Mexico, Morocco, Poland, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States.
The speakers presented very interesting papers and the the keynote speeches were delivered by:
- Mr Valter Mavrič, European Parliament, Director General for Translation
- Professor Gary Massey, Institute of Translation and Interpreting, ZHAW School of Applied Linguistics
- Mr Wojciech Wołoszyk, TEPIS (Polish Association of Sworn and Specialised Translators)
- Professor Maureen Ehrensberger-Dow, Institute of Translation and Interpreting, ZHAW School of Applied Linguistics
- Professor Ricardo Munoz Martin, Department of Interpreting and Translation, University of Bologna
- Professor Oleksandr Bondarenko, teacher at the Chair for Translation Studies, Volodymyr Vynnychenko Central Ukrainian State Pedagogical University, Kiev, Ukraine and owner of Translatel
The Congress was rounded up by CTER President Professor Maria Piotrowska, who delivered the closing address.
Consult the CTER 2022 website for further details.
To commemorate St Jerome – the patron saint of translators, whose death anniversary falls on 30th September, the Consortium for Translation Education Research (CTER) kindly invites you to participate in an online roundtable discussion on translator and translator educator profiles. The meeting will be a chance to:
- share ideas for translator education
- integrate academics interested in translation pedagogy
- celebrate the Translator’s Day
- and more…
Read the details and register for the event here.
We kindly invite you to participate in the 1st Congress of Polish Translation Studies (I KONGRES POLSKIEGO PRZEKŁADOZNAWSTWA), which due to the current epidemiological situation has been rescheduled to May 2022. The event will held at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków and the conference language is Polish.